The summer and holidays are full of activities and events to attend. And the weather greatly influences what happens at this time. That is why our behaviours vary and so do the initiatives we take to perform certain activities and not others different.
When it’s hot, we crave different things. Weather forecasts give us the keys to better understand consumers. Instead of thinking that in summer our company has nothing to contribute, why don’t we study what opportunities we can have? If you do not have it clear whether your company has some potential in these times, better read and remove your doubts.
What are the main events of the summer?
You don’t have to do more than to take a look at the calendar to realize that in summer there are no days when there is nothing to do. This period is full of opportunities, as detailed below:
– Holidays: Summer is the perfect time to go solo or with your family for vacations. July, August and September are the months in which we like to get away and seek sun and beach. Good weather fills up restaurants and hotels. Favourable weather conditions encourage us to go outside or attend any outdoor shows, as an exhibition, movie theatre, or go to an amusement park … The bars and nightclubs are the great choice of late summer nights.
– Concerts and music festivals: The public who usually attend this type of musical events are in the age group of Millennials, which have greater purchasing power than older generations. This leads them to perform such activities. They are active users of social networks and often share photos and videos of what’s happening live. According to GMR Marketing, 32 million Americans claim to attend at least one festival per year.
– National holidays: We have, among many more, on July 4 in the US and July 14 in France. These are characterized by their decorations in streets, squares, courtyards … The sector also makes fireworks. And patriotic attire. It’s time to barbecue (with all that it entails: meat, vegetables, coal, barbeques …), shopping and summer sales. Now is the time to get hold on seasonal basics such as beachwear, garden furniture or fishing or camping items. Discounts on electronics are also considerable, especially considering that in countries like the United States students are going back to school in August.
But certainly, the summer of 2016 will be filled with sporting events:
After events like the America’s Cup in June, Euros in July, and only now started the Olympic Games in August 2016 it is still definitely the summer of sports.
RadiumOne reports that 64% of television viewers in the UK will use a device connected to the Internet while competitions of the Olympic Games are on. After surveying 1,000 users, the conclusions that have been found are:
– During the screening of the games, 53% will be online doing activity completely unrelated to the Olympics games
– Use of chats and instant messaging programs will increase with 31%
– 30% will use the phone to discuss what is happening in the Olympics
Considering each of these factors, your brand has to send the messages at the right moment, according to the needs of the audience. It is also important to provide that during the opening and closing ceremonies when there will be more viewers.
What will be the difference from the Euro cup?
During the football tournament, 39% of fans watched the matches in a bar, turning the Euros into a social event. But who has ever seen the Olympic Games away from home? In this sense, both events are very different from each other.
In regards to football, it is one of the most interesting things to analyse the type of audiences it has. We recommend taking a look at this infographic about what happens as they air football on television.
Who can benefit?
During the music festivals we are used to seeing advertising for clothing brands, sunglasses or alcohol, which obviously all have much to gain in these festivals. The bet on all of the latter for their sponsorships at festivals is more than evident. In fact, sure we all remember how FIB(Festival Internacional de Benicassim) was a few years ago called FIB Heineken.
Banks and financial companies have also taken advantage of this reef. If your brand is able to offer a new user experience, it will be welcome at festivals regardless of the sector it is in. Just knowing how to use this meeting point between brands and the audience.
The car rental companies or shared transport platforms can benefit from any of these events, as well as airlines, hotel chains, campsites or accommodation platforms. The catering industry also has much to gain during the summer. Including bars and restaurants and the travelling food trucks with fast food.
Food companies that sell products like ice cream, juices and light meals such as cold soups and salads also live the summer months complete carefree. A part from 18 degrees, we begin to consume ice cream and sorbets. During these hot months, we manage to survive thanks to food with high water content. That is why the flagship of the holiday remains the bottled water, which increased their sales nearly double in the heat wave last year. We will see that this year history will repeat itself. Others who have much to say are the eco-friendly products, which are totally fashionable in certain sectors of the population.
There are some classics that never fail. If your brand is sunscreen, insect repellent or depilatory cream, you have nothing to fear at this time. Nor if you sell air conditioners, fans or products for swimming pools.
Before going for holidays or attending a summer event, our expectations get higher, and they are all based on previous experiences. This already represents great opportunities for marketers, who can launch their posts at this exact moment.
All we need to do is to harness the emotional side of our strategy and know how to innovate according to consumer needs. However, a little help is never bad. Help with campaign automation or moment marketing in our marketing strategy.
And you? Are you still thinking that your brand has nothing to do during the summer?